Photo Credit: Kiki Maraschino
He was on TV just now and I was wondering if he had any other cachaça cocktail ideas since I featured his "Brazilian Martini" some time ago.
Though slightly more labor-intensive than most of my readers probably prefer, this griddled papaya caipirinha sounds awesome.
Griddled Papaya Caipirinha
- 1 papaya, peeled and cut in 2-½ cm slices, seeds saved for garnish
- 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 lime, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tbsp. unrefined sugar
- Crushed ice
- 60 ml cachaça
- Mint sprig
- Papaya seeds
1) Preheat a griddle to high. Brush the papaya slices with olive oil and griddle for 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and cut the papaya into large chunks.
2) Fill 2 bucket glasses each with 4 pieces of lime, grilled papaya chunks, 1 tablespoon of unrefined sugar, and muddle the ingredients. Wrap whole ice cubes in a kitchen towel and pound the ice with a rolling pin, cocktail muddler, or heavy pan to create crushed ice.
3) Fill the glasses with crushed ice and add 30 ml of cachaca to each glass. Using a bar spoon, give all ingredients a few spins and add additional crushed ice. Garnish each drink with 1 slice of grilled papaya, a mint sprig, and several papaya seeds.